Ovingham lies on the north bank of the River Tyne, 15 miles upstream from the City of Newcastle. Ovingham is immediately north of Prudhoe. The modern parish covers an area of approximately three square kilometres on a terrace above the north bank of the river. The western boundary of Ovingham parish is the Whittle Dene burn. The southern boundary is the Tyne itself. The underlying geology of the parish is limestone. There are about 1200 residents in about 560 houses. We have a well-stocked Londis shop which incorporates a Post Office and two pubs - the White Swan and the Bridge End Inn (currently closed). The tower is used for church bell ringing.
Our church currently has two separate rings of bells - the "old 3" and the new 8. Two of the original bells are medieval and were cast in 1350 and 1505. The tenor was cast by Taylors in 1879. Details of the bells are contained on the Dove wesbite
The bells spent a long time without being rung full circle, due to a combination of a lack of ringers and also concerns over the condition of the bells and frame. Following the arrival of Canon Michael Nelson, who had previously been rector of Hexham Abbey, work was done on the bells to allow them to chimed. Chiming of the bells raised interest in the bells in the local community and following Canon Nelson's retirement in 2009, a small project was undertaken to refurbish the bells in order that they could be rung full circle. (This work could not have been undertaken without the dedication and enthusiasm of Kris King and Andreas Schrocksnadel).
Following 18 months of fundraising a new ring of 8 bells, cast by Whitechapel, were installed in January 2012.
All are welcome to come and ring with us. Details of when we ring are included on the contact us section of this website.
We wecome all ringers - whether you are visiting the area or planning a ringing trip
St Mary the Virgin, Ovingham, Northumberland NE42 6BW